Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Emily H. - Four Panels - each 16x16"

When approached with the idea for my own

subject matter, my mind
tends to race and fill with numerous options.

The only idea that truly
stuck this time was a four-panel

tree painting that I knew would
satisfy my urge for not only environmental

commentary, but also my own
self-expression. To start, this painting was

fully intended to be a
beautiful, thriving tree amidst a lush pasture.

As it progressed, the
deep purples then made me question the

purpose it then held. As the
yellow and violet began to mix in the

background, a muddy and polluted
color began to emerge. Although this is true,

I believe that without
this creation of unexpected color, the

painting would not have become
as interesting. The muddy color then

led me consider the idea of people
trying to thrive in a surrounding that

they then end up polluting. It
could also be read that within such

a desolate environment, something
can thrive and become strong. At this

point, it is left to the viewer
to analyze the piece as they see it.

I believe the deep purples and bright

yellow contrast well, making
each other appear richer and more vibrant.

I used a scumble technique
throughout the whole piece to give it texture

and interest. On the
lower right canvas, I used a series

of mixtures of yellow and burnt
umber to imply perspective and space.

As the background recedes, the
color appears more muted and further

in distance. The canvases on the
left side of the series appear lighter,

implying a light source from
the left, and then fading to a storm-like

sky on the right.

I loved the fact that this painting ended

up being far from realistic.
In my opinion, paintings which show an

obvious burst of expression are
not only beautiful, but also intriguing.

Nearing the end of this
painting, I became entirely satisfied

with the foreground and focused
on it much more than any other area.

It is this fact that may have led
to my dissatisfaction of the upper

background. I believe that more work
could probably be done between the

branches of the trees and on the
tree?s surface. Although this is true,

it would probably be wise to
step away from it and appreciate it for

what it has become. I need not
focus upon every detail, but let it be

something beautiful and
interesting.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home